NSO’s Family Strings Program provides affordable violin, viola, and cello instruction for Lincoln County students grades 3 through 12.
Program participants receive:
- An instrument for lessons and practice.
- Approximately twelve 30-minute lessons per semester with an NSO-approved teacher.
- Group lessons with other Family Strings students when conditions and schedules permit.
- A free ticket for a Newport Symphony Sunday concert and a discount for an accompanying adult.
- An opportunity (typically after one year of study) to join NSO’s youth ensemble “Overture Strings”.
In return, students are expected to:
- Commit to attending all scheduled lessons.
- Demonstrate a sincere desire to learn an instrument.
- Practice in between lessons.
Student payments are on a sliding scale, with families asked to pay what they can afford. Newport Symphony Orchestra covers the difference in instructor fees through generous support from local individuals, businesses, and foundations.
Violin and viola lessons are offered at Newport High School and a private studio on W. Olive Street. Cello lessons are offered at a home studio in Agate Beach.
For additional information or an application form, please contact Kayli Jones, Youth Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.